Education and research
Baden offers a comprehensive range of school, vocational and further education options.
All levels of education through to the end of secondary school (higher education entrance qualification) can be completed in Baden. The city also boasts ultra-modern, nationally award-winning vocational training centres and there are several outstanding tertiary institutions such as the University of Zurich and ETH Zurich, as well as the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland that are within quick and easy reach.
The city of Baden has numerous well-established schools offering a wide range of subjects for all school-age children and youth. Working parents can find information about day schools and childcare centres under "Childcare".
After finishing their mandatory schooling, most young people complete some form of vocational training lasting two to four years. Vocational education combines practical “on the job” training with classroom-based instruction. There is a very broad spectrum of apprenticeships available, from business administration to nursing, through to technical vocations.
- KV Baden Business School, Kreuzlibergstrasse 10, 5400 Baden, www.zentrumbildung.ch
- Berufsfachschule BBB (technical college), Bruggerstrasse, 5400 Baden, www.bbbaden.ch
- Industrial Vocational Apprenticeships Switzerland, Fabrikstrasse 9, 5400 Baden, www.libs.ch
High-performing vocational students have the opportunity to complete the higher education entrance qualification and potentially continue on to university. The canton of Aargau has a wide range of universities.
Instead of undertaking an apprenticeship, students have the opportunity to continue through to the end of secondary school after completing their mandatory schooling. Depending on the type of school, completion of the final years of secondary school gives students the opportunity to access tertiary education such as technical colleges, universities of applied science, and universities:
- Secondary school, business secondary school (WMS) and information technology secondary school (IMS): Baden Cantonal School, Seminarstrasse 3, CH-5400 Baden, www.kanti-baden.ch
- Secondary school and technical secondary school (FMS): Wettingen Cantonal School, Klosterstrasse11, CH-5430 Wettingen, www.kanti-wettingen.ch
Young people finding it difficult to decide which course to take can visit one of the career advice centres for support and extensive information about all the possible career and study options.
Universities and research institutes
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH), www.ethz.ch
- University of Zurich, www.unizh.ch
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland, (FHNW) www.fhnw.ch
- Paul Scherrer Institute, www.psi.ch
- ABB Technical College Baden, www.abbts.ch
- Zurich University of the Arts, http://www.zhdk.ch/?theater
In life, you never stop learning. The Baden region boasts a wide range of further education options.
- Migros Club School Baden, Nordhaus 3, Güterstrasse,CH-5400 Baden, www.klubschule.ch
- Music school for everyone from pre-school children to adults, Villa Burghalde, CH-5400 Baden, www.msrb.ch
- zB. Zentrum Bildung – KV Baden Business School, Kreuzlibergstrasse 10, CH-5400 Baden, www.zentrumbildung.ch
Baden is helping to shape the economy of the future. The city is surrounded by renowned research institutes. ETH Zurich, the Paul Scherrer Institute in Villigen and the ABB Research Centre in Baden-Dättwil can all be reached quickly and easily. The international flair of Baden-based global companies and the predominantly high-tech SME landscape also play a major part in promoting this innovative environment and improving technology transfer.
- Paul Scherrer Institute Villigen PSI www.psi.ch
- Technology and incubator centres www.technopark-aargau.ch
- Aargau Research Fund http://www.hightechzentrum.ch/forschungsfonds-aargau.html
- TEK: bringing SMEs and ETH Zurich together
- Hightech Zentrum Aargau
- Swiss Technology Transfer Association SWiTT
- Venturelab consulting programme